Skip to main content

My Slice of Life Story Challenge Experience

June 11, 2019: The date I created a blog and wrote my first post that I submitted to my first Tuesday Slice of Life Story Challenge (SOLSC).

What is the Slice of Life Story Challenge? I am so glad you asked. 

Every Tuesday writers (Slicers) write a blog post about something that has happened in their lives; then, copy and paste their blog post links on the  Two Writing Teachers website. Slicers also read and comment on at least 3 other Slices. In March, during the month-long challenge, Slicers who submit a Slice everyday are eligible for prizes.

My first experience with the Month-Long SOLSC marathon was in March of last year. I wasn't sure I would be able to write a blog post every day, but I was determined. My concern increased half way through the challenge when COVID required everyone to quarantine. 

How would I be able to write a Slice about life when, in essence, life had come to a screeching halt? I am proud to say that I persevered. 

Life didn't stop. The changes that COVID caused gave me new stories about which to write. For example,  I Sliced about reflecting on my 2020 goals, being flexible, and watching my husband play 18 holes of golf.

Slicing caused me to be present and mindful in my new circumstances and routines. I learned that what can seem like an incidental event can actually be a Slice-worthy event. For instance, my husband made a joke about how my son had become "nose-blind" to smell in his bedroom. I thought it was so funny, I wrote a Slice about it.

My experience with the Slice of Life Story Challenges have stretched me as a writer. My brain has been trained to look for the stories all around me.

I encourage you to participate in the Slice of Life Story Challenge. You can start by checking out the weekly challenge on Tuesday, February 23. Then, stretch your writing muscles with the March marathon. I'm convinced you will not regret either decision.

The links below will help you learn more about and register for the Slice Of Life Story Challenge.

HELPFUL LINKS
Keep these links on-hand as we get ready to begin our month-long writing marathon




Comments

  1. Going to do the challenge for the first time! My OLW this year is "mindful". I love how you talked about how it made you more present and mindful. I'm also a little nervous about posting everyday but I hope it can get me in a blogging habit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very excited to give this a try, Donnetta! I spend so much time among Slicers but had sort of felt like it was out of my league. Going to take some Jen Laffin advice by telling my writing fears to be quiet please and "just write"!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WELCOME

Welcome to the next, big adventure in my writing journey. I have committed to writing a weekly blog post that is all things teaching and learning. I am not sure where this particular leg in the journey will take me, but I am hoping the along the way, others will benefit from my humble efforts. With that being said, sit back, relax, and let's enjoy this ride.

A Community of Support - Building Confidence

    Two weeks ago, I wrote a short introduction to this blog, The Rogue Scholar, welcoming readers and inviting them to join me on the next leg of my writing journey. After I clicked "Publish", I shared it on every social media platform. I have committed to challenging myself to be vulnerable with my writing, and for me being vulnerable means putting it out there.     I was very proud of myself for finally getting it done. I had let fear stifle me for a bit, for a myriad of reasons. Primarily, I didn't and in some ways still don't feel adequate enough to write a blog. I was pleasantly surprised by the encouragement and support I received from those who read it. Their comments and feedback reminded me that I can do the "hard-to-me-things", because I surround ourselves with people who believe in me.       "Being Surrounded By A Community Of Writers Can Help Build Writing Confidence"     In a blog post, written for TeachWrite.org , I speak about the