Skip to main content

EduProtocols

In just about 2 weeks from now, teachers in my school district will return to work and begin planning for the start of the school year. Throughout the summer months, I usually spend a lot of my time doing some preparing and preplanning of my own. However, due to the uncertainty surrounding schools reopening and what delivery of instruction will look like, in-person versus virtual, I have not spent much time planning at all.  

But, back in June, I came across an article called 5 Strategies for Independent Learning, written about how Kim Voge, a 5th grade teacher, uses EduProtocols, created by Marlene Hebern and Jon Corippo, to "create a culture of student-centered, independent learning in her classroom."

As I read about the EduProtocols Mrs. Voge described, I was intrigued and started wondering if they could be used with my 2nd grade Scholars. I reached out to Ms. Voge, who graciously put me in contact with Meghan Cannon-Johann, a 2nd grade teacher who uses EduProtocols in her class.  She assured me they could absolutely be used with the littles.

What are EduProtocols?

  • EduProtocols are structured, open-ended templates. They are designed to be used repeatedly throughout the year, and are adaptable to multiple subject/content areas.
  • Once EduProtocols are taught, and the processes have been mastered, Scholars spend a greater amount of time demonstrating their understanding of the content and less time trying to figure out what to do.
  • EduProtocol lessons allow teachers to embed multiple standards and skills, hold Scholars accountable for authentic evidence of learning, and guarantee differentiation.
  • The 4 Cs - Communication, Collaboration, Critical Thinking, and Creativity - are entrenched in EduProtocols, along with Universal Design for Learning concepts.
  • EduProtocols can be used within digital platforms, such as Quizizz and Google Suite and in paper-pencil forms.
  • EduProtocols help promote a growth-mindset in Scholars and help establish the culture of learning in the classroom.
  • EduProtocols can be adapted for use in the primary grades.

As I thought about what teaching and learning with EduProtocols could look like in my classroom, I ordered the book: The EduProtocol Field Guide: Book 1. The descriptions, instructions for preparation, and suggestions for teaching each of the Smart Start activities and the 16 EduProtocols helped me decide which I introduce and use with my Scholars in the fall.

The Plan

Frayer a Classmate is a Smart Start protocol that promotes collaboration and communication as Scholars work in pairs interviewing one another by asking the four questions predetermined by the teacher. I like this activity for its community-building aspects, but I love it for its fun and engaging way it introduces completing a Frayer Model template.

Little Parts, an adaptation of the 8 p*ARTS EduProtocol, is used to teach grammar and parts of speech. Scholars collaborate to brainstorm words for each parts of speech based on an image that is included on the template. Each Scholar creates their own sentence using the words listed. I like that this activity allows Scholars to use the image to generate words and support their thinking.

Math Reps are math templates that are designed to give Scholars the opportunity to repeatedly practice math skills. There are a plethora of templates already created and can be sequenced as new math concepts and skills are introduced. For more information, check out the Math Reps blog by Lisa Nowakowski and Jeremiah Reusch https://mathreps.wordpress.com/.
 
In my opinion, EduProtocols not only provide Scholars with effective structures to show what they know, they also support independent and autonomous learning, which is a goal that I set for my learners every year. 

I am hopeful that EduProtocols will be instrumental in my providing quality instruction and opportunities for practice this year. I envision increased engagement and joy-filled learners, as Scholars will be eager to learn and produce quality pieces of evidence that show progress and growth. I imagine a classroom culture in which everyone is willing to take risks and willing work to ensure one another's success.

If you currently use EduProtocols in your classroom, leave a comment about the impact they have had in your classroom and with your Scholars.

Comments

  1. I don't currently use EduProtocols in my classroom, but I do use so many of the principles you've laid out in this post. I wholeheartedly agree that "littles" can benefit from the structures oftentimes seen in the classrooms of older grades. In several of the years I was in the classroom (I'm working as a science coach right now, but I'll be back after this year) I had a number of routines I used to help students manage their learning. It wasn't uncommon for me to have teachers ask how *I* was able to manage my third-grade classroom. The answer: I didn't. Rather, I taught the students to do it. It took a few weeks, but after that it was smooth(er) sailing. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for introducing me to this. I have definitely used Frayer models before and yesterday on Twitter came upon math reps (sets created for each grade level for virtual use) , so seems like something I should look at more carefully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your post! I am hoping that you share more about your journey with EduProtocols in second grade!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WELCOME

Welcome to the next, big adventure in my writing journey. I have committed to writing a weekly blog post that is all things teaching and learning. I am not sure where this particular leg in the journey will take me, but I am hoping the along the way, others will benefit from my humble efforts. With that being said, sit back, relax, and let's enjoy this ride.

My Slice of Life Story Challenge Experience

June 11, 2019: The date I created a blog and wrote my first post that I submitted to my first Tuesday Slice of Life Story Challenge (SOLSC). What is the Slice of Life Story Challenge? I am so glad you asked.  Every Tuesday writers (Slicers) write a blog post about something that has happened in their lives; then,  copy and paste their blog post links on the   Two Writing Teachers website. Slicers also read and comment on at least 3 other Slices. In March, during the month-long  challenge, Slicers who submit a Slice everyday are eligible for prizes. My first experience with the Month-Long SOLSC marathon was in March of last year. I wasn't sure I would be able to write a blog post every day, but I was determined. My concern increased half way through the challenge when  COVID required everyone to quarantine.  How would I be able to write a Slice about life when, in essence, life had come to a screeching halt? I am proud to say that  I persevered.  Life didn't stop. The changes th

"We Never Totally Arrive" - May 15, 2021

Saturday Morning Friday Night Quickwrite The quote, "...we never totally arrive", and my friend, Leigh Anne's, post made me think about my summer plans. This school year, our Scholars were not given very many opportunities to write based on the hybrid model of learning and instruction we used in our district. Because I know how important writing is to Scholars' academic success in all content areas, as well as for their personal expression, I desire to be a phenomenal writing teacher.  In my heart, I really want to go bak to school to earn a degree specifically in writing/writing instruction. But, for a number of reasons, going back to school is not feasible right now. So, what does a life-long learner do when she cannot get a formal education to fulfill her passion? 1. She does research to learn about other writing opportunities. 2. She follows other writing educators on Twitter. 3. She orders and reads ALL (okay, some of) the books. 4. She also writes. She is a tea