Skip to main content

I Am a Teacher Who...

On August 25, I published a blogpost about an amazing podcast called, "Design Lessons with Dr. Michele Schmidt Moore. I hope you have taken the time to listen by now. I find her strategies and resources invaluable and I know you will also.

Recently, I had the pleasure of listening to the latest episode called "I'm a Teacher Who...3 Steps to Saying Yes to Opportunities That Will Help You Grow". Staying true to form, this episode has proven to be just as insightful as the others. I was drawn in the moment I read the title. So, I decided to take notes as I listened. I am very glad I did.

In this episode, Dr. Schmidt Moore walks listeners through a 3-step strategy for refining their teacher identities by defining what they stand for, identifying what is important to them, and providing a plan for growth. Teachers who follow these steps will be well-equipped to  "say no to opportunities that don't align to who they are/what they believe and yes to those that do". I absolutely love this statement. 

The reflective work required for this strategy made me think about what I believe to be true about my Scholars as learners and what I believe they deserve from me as their teacher.


My Beliefs - My Teacher Identity

1. I am a teacher who believes Scholars should see themselves in the text they read and those read to them.

2. I am a teacher who believes Scholars should be allowed time to write freely, to simply generate ideas and put them on the page without criticism from others.

My Aligned Action Steps (to My Beliefs)

1. Therefore, I purchase and read-aloud books/text that are written by/and feature characters who represent my Scholars and their culture and experiences.

2. Therefore, I will provide daily opportunities for Scholars to write about what interests them, notebook/journal without regard to craft and rules.

My Plan - (What I will do in the next 3 months that aligns with my teacher identity)

1. I will read-aloud books from my library that represent diverse perspectives to which my Scholars can connect.

2. I will begin sharing my notebook entries with my Scholars and encourage them to start a notebook and to write something everyday.


With remote learning and district-specific guidelines, it has been a bit of a challenge to implement my action steps and plan for writing. But, I am not giving up. I continue to brainstorm creative ways to make that plan a reality. I have, however, been able to read-aloud a plethora of books that represent my Scholars. It always fills my heart with joy to see their eyes light up when they make personal connections to they story.

Thanks to Dr. Schmidt Moore, I can see my beliefs and teacher identity coming into alignment.

Comments

  1. This is great, Donnetta! You are an amazing teacher and your Scholars are lucky to learn from (with) you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WELCOME

Welcome to the next, big adventure in my writing journey. I have committed to writing a weekly blog post that is all things teaching and learning. I am not sure where this particular leg in the journey will take me, but I am hoping the along the way, others will benefit from my humble efforts. With that being said, sit back, relax, and let's enjoy this ride.

My Slice of Life Story Challenge Experience

June 11, 2019: The date I created a blog and wrote my first post that I submitted to my first Tuesday Slice of Life Story Challenge (SOLSC). What is the Slice of Life Story Challenge? I am so glad you asked.  Every Tuesday writers (Slicers) write a blog post about something that has happened in their lives; then,  copy and paste their blog post links on the   Two Writing Teachers website. Slicers also read and comment on at least 3 other Slices. In March, during the month-long  challenge, Slicers who submit a Slice everyday are eligible for prizes. My first experience with the Month-Long SOLSC marathon was in March of last year. I wasn't sure I would be able to write a blog post every day, but I was determined. My concern increased half way through the challenge when  COVID required everyone to quarantine.  How would I be able to write a Slice about life when, in essence, life had come to a screeching halt? I am proud to say that  I persevered.  Life didn't stop. The changes th

"We Never Totally Arrive" - May 15, 2021

Saturday Morning Friday Night Quickwrite The quote, "...we never totally arrive", and my friend, Leigh Anne's, post made me think about my summer plans. This school year, our Scholars were not given very many opportunities to write based on the hybrid model of learning and instruction we used in our district. Because I know how important writing is to Scholars' academic success in all content areas, as well as for their personal expression, I desire to be a phenomenal writing teacher.  In my heart, I really want to go bak to school to earn a degree specifically in writing/writing instruction. But, for a number of reasons, going back to school is not feasible right now. So, what does a life-long learner do when she cannot get a formal education to fulfill her passion? 1. She does research to learn about other writing opportunities. 2. She follows other writing educators on Twitter. 3. She orders and reads ALL (okay, some of) the books. 4. She also writes. She is a tea