Skip to main content

...Trust You? (Boy, Am I Glad!)

Image by DarkmoonArt_de from Pixabay 


Do you know who Penny Kittle and Kelly Gallagher are? I had heard their names, but I didn't really know who they were. Did you know they recently started recording YouTube videos again dedicated to reading and writing? Me neither.

Well, all that changed when my teacher-writer friend, Leigh Anne Eck, shared a link on Facebook for Penny and Kelly's "Day 5 March 23 2021" episode on YouTube. (Penny Kittle's YouTube page.)

Leigh Anne said, and I quote, "Such a great Penny Kittle and Kelly Gallagher video on the writing process and how it is different for everyone. You want to watch this - trust me."

Well, I trusted Leigh Anne. 

So far, I have watched the first 4 episodes. 

Oh! My! Goodness! When I tell you these two are a wealth of knowledge regarding books to read and everything writing, I mean they are a wealth of knowledge.

On the "Day 4" episode, Penny and Kelly interviewed Tom Newkirk (didn't know who he was either). And, honestly, I still don't really; except that he edited the book they just finished writing together.

Tom advocates for the return of fiction writing in middle school and high school, and has written about the impact fiction has on writers.

Of all the ideas shared about why fiction should be taught in middle and high school, my favorites were the ideas about teachers.

"Unless teachers have the chance to try and write fiction themselves,...they are going to have trouble teaching fiction." ~ Tom Newkirk

"Teachers of writers need to be writers." ~ Tom Newkirk

These quotes brought a huge smile to my face, immediately followed by heart palpitations. I have never actually tried writing fiction. Though, I have tried teaching it. 

Bet you can guess what I will be writing soon? 

Needless to say, I am very glad I trusted my friend. 

Thank you Leigh Anne!!!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WELCOME

Welcome to the next, big adventure in my writing journey. I have committed to writing a weekly blog post that is all things teaching and learning. I am not sure where this particular leg in the journey will take me, but I am hoping the along the way, others will benefit from my humble efforts. With that being said, sit back, relax, and let's enjoy this ride.

My Slice of Life Story Challenge Experience

June 11, 2019: The date I created a blog and wrote my first post that I submitted to my first Tuesday Slice of Life Story Challenge (SOLSC). What is the Slice of Life Story Challenge? I am so glad you asked.  Every Tuesday writers (Slicers) write a blog post about something that has happened in their lives; then,  copy and paste their blog post links on the   Two Writing Teachers website. Slicers also read and comment on at least 3 other Slices. In March, during the month-long  challenge, Slicers who submit a Slice everyday are eligible for prizes. My first experience with the Month-Long SOLSC marathon was in March of last year. I wasn't sure I would be able to write a blog post every day, but I was determined. My concern increased half way through the challenge when  COVID required everyone to quarantine.  How would I be able to write a Slice about life when, in essence, life had come to a screeching halt? I am proud to say that  I persevered.  Life didn't stop. The changes th

A Community of Support - Building Confidence

    Two weeks ago, I wrote a short introduction to this blog, The Rogue Scholar, welcoming readers and inviting them to join me on the next leg of my writing journey. After I clicked "Publish", I shared it on every social media platform. I have committed to challenging myself to be vulnerable with my writing, and for me being vulnerable means putting it out there.     I was very proud of myself for finally getting it done. I had let fear stifle me for a bit, for a myriad of reasons. Primarily, I didn't and in some ways still don't feel adequate enough to write a blog. I was pleasantly surprised by the encouragement and support I received from those who read it. Their comments and feedback reminded me that I can do the "hard-to-me-things", because I surround ourselves with people who believe in me.       "Being Surrounded By A Community Of Writers Can Help Build Writing Confidence"     In a blog post, written for TeachWrite.org , I speak about the